Thursday, July 2, 2009

Food for Thought




I read a really good book yesterday, "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels, the trainer from "Biggest Loser." Jason and I are huge Biggest Loser fans, and from scanning the inside covers of this book, I was interested in reading it. Anyway, I highly recommend it. Basically, she said the same things about food that were in the Barbara Kingsolver "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" book, but with more data included, and a focus on weight loss. That is, her book is a big proponent of the whole foods movement, pioneered by Michael Pollan in his book, "Omnivore's Dilemma" (Jillian even talks about his book in her's.) I recommend Michael's book as well, but Barbara Kingsolver's is the best one to read, since she is actually a fiction author (award winning) and therefore her writing is very good to read. It was "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" that inspired me to join the CSA (something that Jillian also recommends doing in her book!). Speaking of CSA, this is week 4, and we received lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots, 2 yellow squash, and 2 zucchini. East Farms, where we are getting this wonderful produce, is certified organic, and everything we've gotten has been extremely high quality, and so delicious! I made some zucchini bread this week, and a couple of batches of spinach pesto to freeze. I kept one batch of spinach pesto out, and I'll be making chicken pesto pasta later this week by tossing the pesto with some spaghetti and shredded rotisserie chicken. You can also see a picture on the side of Rachel feeding herself some yogurt. I thought it was too cute to miss!

No comments: