Tuesday, June 16, 2009

CSA!!





Last week was the first shipment week for the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm that I signed up for. The CSA is East Farms, which is a local 100% organic farm that does its business completely with people like me, who pay the farmer ahead of time (you sign up between January and March) for a share in his crop. Then, every week throughout the growing season (beginning of June until the end of October) you get a shipment of fresh-picked-that-day vegetables! Since we were in California last week, they didn't do a shipment for me, and instead I received a double share today! Holy cow - I don't know what I'm going to do with all of these vegetables! They look so good, and taste so good too, from what I've sampled so far. I got 2 Smith's bag-fulls of each: green English peas (the kind you have to shell), swiss chard, arugula, green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, and baby beets. My fingers are pruny from washing all the lettuces and putting them in gallon zip-top bags! I served green and red leaf mixed salad and fresh peas with our dinner tonight, and they were SO good! I'm never going to be able to eat grocery store produce ever again! Here are the pictures of my shipment, and of my dinner. (It's Cod with Fennel and Oranges, Ciabatta bread, peas, and salad). Click the link to get the recipe for the fish, if you so desire. Also included in this post are some pictures from my phone that I downloaded. Cute.

No comments: