Thursday, February 26, 2009

Community Supported Agriculture

After reading my friend Mary's blog, and the book she recommended, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver, I have been inspired this year to join a CSA, or Community Supported Agriculture group. This is where you pay a local farmer up front for a share in his crop, and then all through the harvesting season, you recieve a share of fresh produce that was picked that day! The CSA I chose is East Farms. You pay for a share, and then every week from June to October you pick up a share of produce from a prearranged location. The reasons why I chose to do this are many! First, I love to eat delicious food, and the fresher the food is, the better it tastes, so obviously, there are culinary reasons! Next, I really would like to get my family to eat more vegetables and fruits - we are sadly lacking on that count, and this will force us to do so! Third, from reading the Barbara Kingsolver book, I have learned about the high oil cost of transporting our food back and forth across the country and globe, and with that in mind, I will be doing my part to reduce our country's dependence on foreign oil by not having my vegetables shipped from all over the world. Fourth, I would grow my own vegetables, but I have a horrific black thumb, absolutely NO knowledge of gardening, and 2 very small children who would make it difficult to spend a lot of time knee-deep in dirt all day. Lastly, after reading Mary's blog where she documented what she received each week and what she did with it - it just looked like fun! So, here we go on a crazy adventure in produce... Check out Mary's Blog, and East Farms, Animal Vegetable Miracle, and Slow Food Utah

1 comment:

Heather S. said...

John and I just do our own gardening. You should try it, it's really not that hard and impossible. Especially if you have a fenced back yard.