Tuesday, August 18, 2009

CSA week 11


After all the potsticker fun last week, I was looking forward to getting another head of cabbage to do something else with... and we didn't get any cabbage! Oh well. We got a HUGE canteloupe that is insanely delicious, 2 green bell peppers, 4 ears of corn, 3 cucumbers, green onions, lots of red potatoes, and 2 yellow summer squashes. I have been having so much fun with all of these veggies - finding new ways to cook and use them, and trying new veggies I've never had before... I highly recommend joining a CSA! I love getting my "surprise" veggies every week and then figuring out what to do with them all! I have noticed that the corn on the cob really needs to be eaten on the same day we get it, otherwise it is not very good. To combat this problem, since we get more ears of corn than our family can eat in just one day, I looked up how to store corn - blanching and freezing. For those of you out there who have no idea how to do this (like I did) here is what you do:

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add shucked cobs of corn and boil 5 minutes. Remove the corn immediately to a large bowl of ice water and submerge for 4 minutes. Thouroughly dry the ears of corn, place them in a large ziplock freezer bag and freeze for up to 6 months. When you're ready to eat the corn, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the frozen corn, and return to a boil, boiling for 3-5 minutes until heated through.

No comments: